So you want to stop smoking? Congratulations! You will not regret getting rid of the stink on your clothes and hair, the yellowing teeth, the difficulty breathing. Nor will you miss the nagging guilt that tells you it’s a filthy, unhealthy habit every time you light up. Your body will thank you for it and so will your wallet.
Smoking is, of course, highly addictive and to start with you will experience tobacco and nicotine withdrawals. This is where nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) comes in. You can buy products that contain nicotine to help wean you off this addictive chemical such as: chewing gum, patches, mouth spray and lozenges. These 'stop-smoking' medicines are available from the NHS with a prescription and can also be bought over the counter at pharmacies.
Alternatively you can try an e-cigarette, which is a device that allows you to inhale nicotine without most of the harmful effects of smoking. E-cigarettes work by heating and creating a vapour from a thick, colourless liquid called propylene glycol and/or glycerine and flavourings. As there is no burning involved, there is no smoke, just vapour - hence the term vaping.
Vaping is now used in 1 in 3 quit smoking attempts, the e-liquids come in a huge variety of flavours which helps with their appeal. Many people start with tobacco flavoured e-liquids which contain nicotine, then move onto different flavours with reduced nicotine, which really helps to separate vaping from smoking. Soon, their taste has evolved and the taste of tobacco no longer appeals.
Vaping has helped thousands of people successfully stop smoking, with the number of smoking-related cancers in the UK on the decline. Here are some of the main reasons it is so popular:
- Vaping is versatile – it replicates the taste of cigarettes and provides a nicotine hit, then allows you to gradually reduce the nicotine content and try alternative flavours, eventually evolving your taste away from traditional tobacco.
- The familiar hand-to-mouth action of vaping simulates the act of smoking.
- Inhaling vapour maintains the ‘throat hit’ without you having to inhale smoke.
- Vaping significantly reduces your lung exposure to dangerous carcinogens.
- Vaping is less anti-social than smoking, you can do it in more places and it doesn’t stink.
- You will soon start to notice that vaping is more cost-effective than smoking.